Thursday, August 17, 2017

Just Because I Am Anxious, It Does Not Mean I Am Unhappy - Healing Series 2

I finished a very stressful course 3 weeks ago. Since then, I've been having high levels of anxiety even where there is no or minimal stimulus. Logically, it isn't surprising because I had high levels of anxiety for 6 weeks straight so it will naturally linger in that state. I didn't get to this place overnight and I know that it will take a long time to heal my body and mental state.

This blog is to remind that when I feel anxious, it may also feel like I am unhappy and mad or miserable. But, that isn't true. The anxiety can become so gripping that I forget that I am so happy. There are a million reasons why I am happy and a million things I am grateful for.

I passed Anatomy. I am fortunate enough to get into and attend an incredible medical school. I have supportive family, friends, and boyfriend. I've made new friends in school already and I learned more about them, growing closer to them each day. I was brave enough to reach out to a therapist for help. I'm taking the advice I was given to better care for myself: I started drinking more kefir, eating more kimchi, and cooking my own fish/meat bone broths; I did my stretches and I reflected and rested more. I was kind to myself and forgave myself in spite of my anxiety.

In the midst of feeling inadequate, there are so many things that make me happy and grateful. So the next time I feel anxious, I will do by 4-7-8 breathing exercise, and remember that I am loved, brave, and capable.

No comments:

Post a Comment