Thursday, July 9, 2015

How to Initiate a Relationship with an INFJ

As most people know (as seen from INFJ forums and blogs), it is extremely painful to initiate a dating relationship with an INFJ. There are several reasons for this:

1. We are usually busy-bodies and therefore, we will only invest in the time and emotionally draining process of dating if we see that our future with the potential person has a high probability of succeeding.

2. It takes us a long time to decide if a person is worth investing in as we will process and rearrange everything we know about that person given new evidence and time.

3. Known as the "protectors", we will usually take our time to learn everything about them because we want to reduce the probability of hurting them by studying them early on once they show any signs of interest. INFJs will want to avoid having to break anyone's heart further down the line. Personally, I will pursue or show my interest only when I am confident that I can love the person wholly and if I see a relationship is conducive to both of our happiness in the long-term.

Given these reasons, if you have an INFJ you really want to pursue, here are some tips:

1. GO SLOW. Take things super super super slow. What you're thinking now, make it 3 times slower. An INFJ may like you, think you are attractive and smell amazing, and admire you for your great traits. But none of these mean the INFJ is ready to enter into a relationship with you. INFJs often see the best in people and using these criteria to start a dating relationship may work many people, but not for INFJs looking for a serious relationship. A healthy INFJ will not let someone in their life unless they fit well in their current carefully designed structure. We do "fall heads over heels" for others, but will only let our feelings grow if we see a life together with the person. The reason for this is because INFJs love deeply and will actually throw away everything we have and are for the people we love so we must be very careful when choosing a mate. Starting with one date per week and sending 2-5 texts per day, spaced a few hours apart is ideal. This allows for the INFJ to reach a calm mindset faster and deal with their infatuation with you and manage their life at the same time. It may be frustrating at first, but she will appreciate the time you give to herself and the other things in her life important to her.

2. Respect our individuality. When someone tells an INFJ, "do what you think is best for you," it will make the INFJ feel strong and respected. It's like saying, "Do what you need to do, and I will be here for you no matter what you decide." There is a level of trust that is appreciated beyond words. INFJs are independent creatures who put a lot of thought in everything they do and should be respected as such. Once our decisions and thought-processes are questioned and attempted to be controlled, we will start questioning why you bother being around us in the first place if everything you do is superior to us. INFJs protect the people their love and we can't do that if the people we want to protect question our every move.

3. How do you know we are interested? Most people will pursue or show their interest to someone, and if they don't reciprocate, they move on. That is the reason why it is so hard to initiate a relationship with INFJs. Once someone shows interest (usually from the friendship stage), our brain goes haywire and we need to restructure and reanalyze everything we know about you. This takes time, so don't be too discouraged when we don't respond immediately positively to your flirting or pretend to ignore your compliment completely. As explained in #1, we need time to process and will not always respond positively just because we attracted to you. We need to make sure you fit into our life first. My tip for this is to show your appreciation for us for at least one month. If we haven't responded to you with a "Can I see you this weekend?" or "I miss you" text during this month, then we probably aren't interested. But those hints we give are pretty subtle and we might continue to be somewhat distant when we hang out in person, solely due to our shyness and our reluctancy to pressure you (#4).

4. Understand our reluctancy to initiate physical contact. Just because we don't hug or kiss you, doesn't mean we aren't head-over-heels in love with you. We are considerate creatures so usually we won't initiate physical contact. We also don't want to pressure the other person in initiating the physical contact. The problem with this is that no one does anything, especially if the other types do not like to pressure others (-cough- INTJs). This leads me to #5.

5. When to initiate physical contact? Once we start asking you more questions about yourself and you find that you're speaking the majority of the time, we are genuinely interested and want to know more about you and how you fit in our structure. Usually, we will start the occasional "How do you feel about [insert ethical topic]?" We are trying to gage not only your views, but capable you are of holding philosophical discussions and how you respond to similarities or differences to your views. Once we text you ridiculously insignificant questions out of the blue, "Are your feet freezing right now?" we are hooked and want to know everything about you. This is the perfect time to stand or walk closer to us when we spend time together, and initiate hand holding to gage our reaction.

6. You are in a relationship. Once an INFJ kisses you, holds your hand in public, introduces you to all of her friends and family, she probably considers you two in a relationship. However, it is always good to have a clear discussion just so that she knows that you two are in an exclusive relationship and that won't change unless you say so later down the line.

Extra. Fear of long-distance relationships: If there were a ranking of how well each MBTI could last in a long-distance relationship, I would rank INFJs in the top 3 along with ISTJs. Don't be afraid to start a relationship with one because there might be some separation down the path.

This is just my personal opinion and obviously, not all INFJs are the same. Let me know what you think and if there any topics you would like me to address in future posts!

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily Michelle! Thanks for stopping by. That's great to hear -- I'm glad there are people who appreciate the INFJ's great listening skills. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. That makes all the human beings happy. But at the same time the disadvantage of love is that makes add drama to your life, you lose your privacy, alberto

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an INTP who has fallen in love with this INFJ I met in college. If i read this article before summer, I'd have already guessed she was interested in me but at that time, i couldn't understand her.
    My friend forced me to chat with her during the summer and I did. The chatting went well though extremely slowly but now, I feel like I've lost this spark.
    She once wanted to get to know more about me and meet my friends but she doesn't bring this up nowadays even though she still writes very well written but late replies (as she always did) to me.
    Has she lost interest in me? Or do i need to give her time? I badly need advice :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! You mentioned that you chatted with her during the summer and now as well. Do you ever ask her to meet for coffee or lunch?

      This is just my personal experience: I've been dating my ENTP boyfriend for a year and a half now. I very much appreciated the way he initiated many in-person meetings. He would ask me to get coffee, and if I was still uncertain, I'd be honest and say I didn't want to meet just yet. A week later after texting for several days, he'd bring up the idea of meeting again. After the third time, I finally accepted his invitation. It wasn't until the in-person dates that I knew I really liked him, so I urge you to not postpone meeting in person. If she says no, then she probably isn't interested anymore. If she says yes, then go from there.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ENTP,

      I'd like to first address what you said about your INFJ friend not always being the most socially polite person. Personally, I either like people or I don't. If I don't like them, I usually won't say hi to them unless they say hi to me first. It's not that I'm trying to spite them or anything, I just don't value social niceties and I honestly don't think that not saying hi to someone I'm not really friends with is offensive or anything. We have limited energy and INFJs prefer to spend their energy figuring out things in their heads instead of worrying all the time about what others think of us. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. She's just different and I think a good place to start would be to try to understand why she does certain things. Instead of saying, "how come you didn't say hi to that girl when you saw her at the cafe?" ask instead what she spends her time thinking about, and slowly, understand her thought processes a little more and more. I think your "research" on her should be done by talking to her and getting to know her better.

      That being said, if she isn't interested in you, you can either 1) give up or 2) be patient and try to find a way inside her walls. Another thing to take note of is her life outside and away from you. Is she looking for a relationship? Are you someone she can see herself with? Those things are things that you can't really control.

      If you do choose to be patient and keep persuing her, I asked my ENTP for some tips and so my advice will be a combination of both our thoughts. Firstly, it's important that you accept the fact that failure is ok before you even make conversation. Fear of failure makes you negative, question yourself and her, and ingenuine. Accept that failure is a possibility and then approach your interactions with her in a positive way that shows genuine interest and superb listening skills. My boyfriend does a great job of asking me about my day and listening to my feelings. He let's me talk about things I'm interested in and even allows me to teach him things he has no knowledge about because he wants to be in my world and learn about why I love what I love. That kind of passion is irresistible. Our start was pretty rocky to be honest. My boyfriend had to ask me 3 times before I agreed to go on a date with him. He kept texting me and showing me that he was a great listener and genuinely interested in my thoughts and feelings. The other big thing was that he never tried to change me. If I didn't like to go out to see his friends, he'd let us hang out just the two of us. If I was feeling lazy, he'd come over and just watch movies on the couch with me. And the same holds true for other things. If I didn't want to say hi to someone or be nice to them, he never made me feel bad about it or tell me what I should do. That is HUGE.

      So, I would start there and see where things go. If she makes herself clear that she is not interested, it's best to respect her feelings.

      Best of luck,
      Justine

      Delete
    2. Hi Justine,

      Thank you for your lengthy reply. I appreciate it. Sorry to bother you again but I have a few more questions.

      How can you tell that you are interested in someone? Do you show any signs like body language?

      Whenever I message her, I always embarass myself. I say a lot of things pointing out my interest in her and she will just seenzone me. But after that particular message, when I message her again if she's going to the game, she will reply. How do you feel when someone tells you that they like you? She's not totally ignoring me because she still replies to my "other" messages.

      Whenever I see her though (after those awkward seenzone and confessing of feelings) it's like everything is normal and she smiles to my direction more and more and not being grumpy grump. In a group setting (that's the only time I really get to be with her) she will indirectly answer my questions to someone I am speaking with and laugh at my jokes. She has changed a lot since our "unfortunate encounter" last year and a lot of people have noticed that she's a bit more open now. She still doesn't speak to a lot of the teammates which she has been with for 4 years while I was just part of the team last year. I don't want to sound like I'm lifting my own bench here but with the body language and the staring and the listening very intently to my stories things..I think I might have a shot on her. And no, I'm not giving up. She never said no to my invites. She just doesn't reply. Lol. As the saying goes "Don't stop when there is no stop sign." Lol.

      Oh and one more thing, do you easily get annoyed when someone is pestering you or telling their feelings towards you or like messaging you and asking you out? Because that's the only time I don't get a reply from her so maybe she gets annoyed. That is just my assumption.

      Looking forward to your insights. This is my first time to ask an advice online..so thank you so much. By the way, send my regards to my fellow ENTP boyfriend of yours!

      Sincerely,
      ENTP

      Delete
  5. Hello again ENTP,

    Thanks for visiting the blog again and my boyfriend was honored to be greeted. He says hello back!

    I'm curious to know what kind of settings you invited her to. Did you invite her to hang out one-on-one or with a large group? INFJs tend to prefer one-on-ones with people they like and even if my own boyfriend invited me to a setting with many people, I'd probably say no.

    I only get annoyed if a person I don't like keeps messaging me and asking me out, especially if they keep asking me to attend large group settings. Maybe find a cool cafe that has good drinks and a quiet study environment, and ask her to join you to read, study or hang out.

    I'm also curious as to what kind of feelings you share with her that would cause her to not reply. Are you generally positive or negative?

    Kind regards,
    Justine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize I forgot to include signs on how to tell an INFJ likes you. For me personally, I won't make it too obvious unless I am very serious about that person and am good friends with them. Sometimes I will like someone but I won't make eye contact with them or even acknowledge them. Other times, I will make non-stop eye contact, lean in close, and even playfully touch them on the shoulder/hands. With my boyfriend, I replied to his messages, laughed often, shared my feelings with him, and reciprocated his physical touches like hand-holding, etc. It's really tough to know when an INFJ likes you because we can be very secretive so the best method really is to directly ask us. But, that may be too confronting and uncomfortable for us... sorry my answer my be unsatisfactory but that is my honest personal opinion.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there! I was in an LDR with an INFJ for 2.5 years but we broke up coz he said he lost feelings for me (maybe coz I was too pushy and demanding him to step into the next level of commitment, i.e. marriage). I really just want him and find that he's special for me. Do you think his feelings can come back? We're still talking like friends, but I can always sense that he's not interested in taking me back again. What do I do to make him see me as a potential romantic partner again? What do you advice? I've been tested for ENFP, btw, but I'm not really sure if it's accurate.
    Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asle, I can only speak from my own experience. I know it hurts but it'd be best to take him for his word. It's only fair to respect that he knows his own feelings and believe him when he says he no longer has the same feelings for you. And like you said, I would trust your gut feeling about how he feels about you, which is in accordance with what he has told you. Wishing you all the best as you work through your feelings.

      Delete
    2. Hi again! Thank you so much for your kind words. It's been a long time, but I can say that you helped me a lot! I took your advice, let him be, but kept the lines of communication open. Tried so hard not to nag/pressure him, and guess what, he told he loved me 2 months ago! Something he had never done before, even in our previous relationship. Now he tells me he loves me very often, and I am really happy, much happier than our first relationship! I guess we really just have to be very patient with INFJs. Thanks a lot, I am also growing as an ENFP :)
      BEST WISHES! :D

      Delete
    3. Congratulations Asle, very happy for you both :)

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete